Wednesday, March 9, 2011

PFC McADOO


San Diego was so beautiful! We can't wait to get back there & take Kinley to the zoo..Sea World & everything else it has to offer! I could so live there :)

So Thursday started out with a drive to DFW to catch our 10:40am flight. We got there about 30 minutes late but his family had JUST met up with him for the 1st time..so we just kinda joined their little circle & Alex was talking. He looked at me & had to do a double take bc it really surprised him! He was so excited to see us as we were him!
He looks COMPLETELY different with a shaved head & about 40lbs lighter!
After catching up for a bit they had a lunch for the families at the Bay View Restaurant. And then we walked around the depot (MCRD = Marine Corp Recruit Depot) as well as the museum. Then we had to let him go for the night at about 4:30pm.
Hehe, he just wanted Reeces Pieces & M&Ms!
Changed into his "cammies" so we could see what he looked like in those..

And this is the Parade Deck. It is very sacred ground for the Marines so civilians are NOT allowed to step foot! This is where graduation was held.

Friday morning was graduation. We got there at 8:15am and it started at 10am. Thank goodness we listened & got there early bc there wasn't an empty seat in the house!

Their bags were all packed & ready to go by platoon #.. once grad was over they were free to go!

Me, before graduation
A snapshot into the barracks where they slept..


Couple of drill instructors
The Marine Corp Band..they were awesome!
There's Alex!! Front & center..
Middle row-back
Introducing Private First Class McAdoo!

So very proud of Alex! He has truly inspired us all. I am so glad we made the decision to go to his graduation because it was the most patriotic thing I have ever witnessed! I even got goosebumps & teared up a little. We are sad he is only home for 10 days before he has to go back..who knows when we will see him again! But thankfully he will be off doing something to make us all proud :) Semper Fi!


6 comments:

lots of love said...

I def have a special place in my heart for all military. The ceremonies are extremely moving. What is his MOS (job field) & where's his job training located?

Miranda said...

God Bless America

Betty Watson said...

Seeing these pictures almost made me cry. I still remember the day my nephew graduated. That was the most impressive thing I have ever seen. Seriously. I brought our camcorder which back in those days was HUGE. I recorded the ceremony for those in the family that didn't get to make the trip. I still have a picture of me and Travis my sister took that day on my board at work. The marines look so awesome!

Birkes to the 4th Power said...

What a great thing to share with him!! So proud of him!

Rosie said...

Isn't the Marine graduation amazing? My brother is a Marine and it gives me chills thinking of the patriotism surrounding everyone there. I'm sure ya'll are very proud!

Holly and Matthew said...

Wow Shelly! Looks like you had a good time and I am sure it made Alex very happy to see you guys.