Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Recipes

Day #5- Favorite Recipes

*Praline Sweet Potatoes*
I got this recipe from a co-worker of mine. I make it every Thanksgiving & sometimes Christmas. She just passed away last month after a long battle with cancer so I will always think of her when I make it!

3 cups (about 4-5, large) cooked/mashed sweet potatoes
1 1/2 cups sugar (can add more to taste)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted margarine
*Mix all together & pour into 2 qt. casserole dish

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup melted margarine
1 cup chopped pecans
*Mix all together & pour on top of potato mixture
(This topping is just barely enough..I like to make a little more by increasing the measurements by 1/2)

Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes
(not actual pic- the topping will be a bit more runny & in a bigger dish!)


*Taco Soup*
I know this is more of a winter meal but it is oh so yummy and makes A LOT! It's my mommy's recipe :)

1lb. ground beef (or turkey tastes the same)
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 pkg. fiesta ranch (powder)
2 cans ranch style beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can jalepeno black-eyed peas
2 cans corn
3 cans stewed tomatoes
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 pkg. shredded cheese

*Brown the meat & then add the taco seasoning.
Pour all other ingredients except the shredded cheese into a large pot & add the meat.
Lightly boil for about 30 minutes or until the bell peppers & onions are soft.
Serve in a bowl with shredded cheese on top with a tortilla or cornbread!




*Chicken Salad*
Last one! This is my aunt's recipe & it is delicious! I don't like celery & all that mess in my chicken salad so this is the best to me! Jeffrey likes to add walnuts to his.

5-6 frozen chicken breasts
2 boxes chicken broth
2 bottles poppy seed dressing
2 small cans pineapple tidbits, drained
About 1/2 lb red seedless grapes, cut in 1/2

*Boil chicken breasts in the broth for about 45 minutes or until fully cooked. If you need to add water to cover the chicken completely you can.
Shred the chicken when done.
Mix all together (I usually use 1 1/2 bottles of the poppy seed dressing)
Chill before serving. I enjoy it on croissants or with crackers.
You will have leftovers :)





5 comments:

Crystal said...

I'm hungry now....

The Mitchell's said...

Was your coworker Gail?

~Shelly~ said...

Yes it was! U know her?

Ape said...

Mmmmm taco soup sounds tasty

The Mitchell's said...

Yes, she and my mom were good friends. I figured it was her since you both worked at BU and she always had good recipes.